- HOST SPECIES: Mouse
- SPECIES REACTIVITY: Mammal
- IMMUNOGEN: Recombinant rat peripherin expressed in and purified from E. coli.
- CONJUGATE: Unconjugated
- TESTED APPLICATIONS: IHC, WB
- SPECIFICITY: Specific for the ~57kDa peripherin protein. This antibody performs well on aldehyde fixed tissues.
- PREDICTED MOLECULAR WEIGHT: 57
- PURIFICATION: Total IgG fraction
- CLONALITY: Monoclonal
- ISOTYPE: IgG1
- PHYSICAL STATE: Liquid
- CONCENTRATION: batch dependent
- STORAGE CONDITIONS: Peripherin antibody can be stored at -20°C and is stable at -20°C for at least 1 year.
- NCBI OFFICIAL SYMBOL: Prph
- Protein Accession Number: P21807
- PROTEIN GI NUMBER: 129822
- NCBI GENE ID NUMBER: 24688
- USER NOTE: Optimal dilutions for each application to be determined by the researcher.
- Peripherin is a ~57 kDa intermediate filament subunit found initially in sensory neurons of the peripheral nervous systems, which gives the protein its name. Subsequently, peripherin was found in some sensory and other neurons of the central nervous system and also in PC12 cells. Peripherin is also expressed in certain neuroendocrine tumors and in the insulin producing cells of the pancreas. Peripherin belongs to the Class III family of intermediate filament subunits which also includes vimentin, glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) and desmin. In contrast to the neurofilaments, peripherin is strongly up-regulated after nerve injury. Antibodies to peripherin can be used in identifying, classifying, and studying neurons throughout the nervous system. Peripherin is also a good diagnostic marker for ballooned axons seen in Lou Gehrig's disease (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and some neuronally derived tumors. Autoantibodies to peripherin are frequently seen in the sera of patients with diabetes. Peripherin is not related to peripherin/RDS, a protein of the photoreceptor outer membrane mutations of which are causative of certain forms of slow retinal degeneration.
- 1: Terao E, Janssens S, van den Bosch de Aquilar P, Portier M, Klosen P (2000) In vivoexpression of the intermediate filament peripherin in rat motoneurons: modulation byinhibitory and stimulatory signals. Neuroscience 101(3):679-88.
- 2: Roberson J, Doroudchi MM, Nguyen MD, Durham, HD, Shaw G, Julien JP, MushynskiWE. (2003) A neurotoxic peripherin splice variant in a mouse model of ALS. J. Cell Biol. 160(6):939-49.
- 3: Boitard C, Villa MC, Becourt C, Gia HP, Huc C, Sempe P, Portier MM, Bach JF (1992)Peripherin: an islet antigen that is cross-reactive with nonobese diabetic mouse class II gene products. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89(1):172-6.
- FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY
For additional information, visit ProSci's Terms & Conditions Page.
- Disclaimer: This product is for research use only.
CATALOG NUMBER: 50-258
- Size: 0.1 mL
- List Price: $480.00
$65 Standard Overnight flat rate for as many products shipped within the United States.
$35 Dry Ice Shipment fee may be required on some items.
Note: Online orders only accepted for shipment within the USA. Click here for the list of international distributors.