- PREDICTED MOLECULAR WEIGHT: 307.3
- Formula: C12H9N3O5S
- CAS: 55981-09-4
- Solubility: Soluble in DMSO (10mg/ml) or water (10mg/ml).
- InChi Key: GMMVCIKWTYKLKY-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- Smiles: O=C(NC1=NC=C([N+]([O-])=O)S1)C2=C(C(OC)=O)C=CC=C2
- RTECS: VN7830000
- Identity: Determined by 1H-NMR.
- PURITY: greater than or equal to 98% (HPLC)
- PHYSICAL STATE: Lyophilized
- STORAGE CONDITIONS: Short Term Storage: +4C. Long Term Storage: -20C. Handling Advice: Keep cool and dry. Use/Stability: Stable for at least 2 years after receipt when stored at -20C.
- ADDITIONAL NAMES: 2-(Acetyloxy)-N-(5-nitro-2-thiazolyl)benzamide; NSC 697855; NTZ
- Nitazoxanide is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic, antimicrobial and antiviral drug that is used in medicine for the treatment of various helminthic, protozoal, bacterial and viral infections. Nitazoxanide is rapidly metabolized to tizaxonide, an antiparasitic drug of the thiazolide class. The anti-protozoal activity and activity against anaerobic bacteria is believed to be due to interference with the pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase (PFOR) enzyme-dependent electron transfer reaction which is essential to anaerobic energy metabolism. Nitazoxanide also showed a variety of other antibacterial mechanisms, inhibiting pyruvate dehydrogenase in E. coli, disrupting the membrane potential and pH homeostasis in the Mycobacterium tuberculosis and suppressing the chaperone/usher (CU) pathway of the Gram-negative bacteria. It is being studied for potential treatment for chronic hepatitis B, chronic hepatitis C, rotavirus, norovirus gastroenteritis and the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). The mechanism is suppressing the viral replication by inhibiting maturation of the viral hemagglutinin and the viral transcription factor immediate early 2 (IE2) as well as by activating the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 2Î± (an antiviral intracellular protein). Nitazoxanide modulates a variety of other pathways in vitro, including glutathione-S-transferase and glutamate-gated chloride ion channels in nematodes, respiration and other pathways in bacteria and cancer cells and viral and host transcriptional factors. Nitazoxanide has also been shown to be a potent antagonist of the Ca2+-activated Cl- channel TMEM16A, which offers a new mechanism to bronchodilate airways and block the multiple contractiles operating in severe diseases.
- FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY
For additional information, visit ProSci's Terms & Conditions Page.
- Disclaimer: This product is for research use only.
CATALOG NUMBER: 10-035
- Size: 250 mg
- List Price: $285.00
$65 Standard Overnight flat rate for as many products shipped within the United States.
$35 Dry Ice Shipment fee may be required on some items.
Note: Online orders only accepted for shipment within the USA. Click here for the list of international distributors.
New & Featured Products
CATALOG NUMBER: 95-201
CATALOG NUMBER: 95-200
CATALOG NUMBER: 9805