- HOST SPECIES: Rabbit
- SPECIES REACTIVITY: Human, Mouse, Rat
- HOMOLOGY: Predicted species reactivity based on immunogen sequence: Bovine: (94%), Pig: (88%)
- IMMUNOGEN: Maelstrom antibody was raised against a 16 amino acid synthetic peptide near the carboxy terminus of human Maelstrom.
The immunogen is located within amino acids 30 - 80 of Maelstrom.
- CONJUGATE: Unconjugated
- TESTED APPLICATIONS: ELISA, ICC, IF, WB
- APPLICATION NOTE: Maelstrom antibody can be used for detection of Maelstrom by Western blot at 1 μg/mL. Antibody can also be used for immunocytochemistry starting at 5 μg/mL. For immunofluorescence start at 20 μg/mL.
Antibody validated: Western Blot in human samples; Immunocytochemistry in human samples and Immunofluorescence in human samples. All other applications and species not yet tested.
- POSITIVE CONTROL 1: Cat. No. 1201 - HeLa Cell Lysate
- POSITIVE CONTROL 2: Cat. No. 17-001 - HeLa Cell Slide
- PURIFICATION: Maelstrom Antibody is affinity chromatography purified via peptide column.
- CLONALITY: Polyclonal
- ISOTYPE: IgG
- PHYSICAL STATE: Liquid
- BUFFER: Maelstrom Antibody is supplied in PBS containing 0.02% sodium azide.
- CONCENTRATION: 1 mg/mL
- STORAGE CONDITIONS: Maelstrom antibody can be stored at 4°C for three months and -20°C, stable for up to one year. As with all antibodies care should be taken to avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles. Antibodies should not be exposed to prolonged high temperatures.
- NCBI OFFICIAL SYMBOL: MAEL
- ADDITIONAL NAMES: Maelstrom Antibody: CT128, SPATA35, Protein maelstrom homolog
- Protein Accession Number: AAY82463
- PROTEIN GI NUMBER: 67866977
- NCBI GENE ID NUMBER: 84944
- USER NOTE: Optimal dilutions for each application to be determined by the researcher.
- Maelstrom Antibody: The mammalian homolog of the Drosophila protein Maelstrom is expressed in the male germline and localizes to the sex body in spermatocytes and the chromatoid body in round spermatids. Similar to its expression in Drosophila, Maelstrom is a component of nuages, a germ-cell specific organelle and is thought to be essential for spermatogenesis and transposon repression during meiosis. In humans, Maelstrom has been found to be expressed only in the testis and in various cancer cell lines. Treatment of these cell lines with the demethylating agent 5'-Aza-2-Deoxycytidine significantly upregulated Maelstrom levels, indicating that its expression is regulated by DNA methylation.
- 1: Clegg NJ, Frost DM, Larkin MK, et al. Maelstrom is required for an early step in the establishment of Drosophila oocyte polarity: posterior localization of grk mRNA. Development1997; 124:4661-71.
- 2: Costa Y, Speed RM, Gautier P, et al. Mouse MAELSTROM: the link between meiotic silencing of unsynapsed chromatin and microRNA pathway? Hum. Mol. Genet.2006; 15:2324-34.
- 3: Soper SFC, van der Heijen GW, Hardiman TC, et al. Mouse Maelstrom, a component of nuage, is essential for spermatogenesis and transposon repression in meiosis. Dev. Cell2008; 15:285-97.
- 4: Xiao L, Wang Y, Zhou Y, et al. Identification of a novel human/testis gene MAEL that is regulated by DNA methylation. Mol. Biol. Rep.2009; epub.
- FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY
For additional information, visit ProSci's Terms & Conditions Page.
- Disclaimer: Optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user. The information provided is a guideline for product use. This product is for research use only.
CATALOG NUMBER: 5667
- Size: 0.02 mg | 0.1 mg
- List Price: $89.00 – $395.00
$65 Standard Overnight flat rate for as many products shipped within the United States.
$35 Dry Ice Shipment fee may be required on some items.
Note: Online orders only accepted for shipment within the USA. Click here for the list of international distributors.
Customize your order
Bulk Pricing Available
Custom Formulations: azide free, endotoxin testing & endotoxin removal.
Pair your antibody with a Lysate, Peptide, Control, & /OR Secondary Antibody.
Contact our Customer Care Team for more information
Custom Antibody Services
Speak to one of our custom antibody specialists to discuss your next custom antibody project.
New & Featured Products
HIV-1 p24 Antibody [10A2] (biotin)
CATALOG NUMBER: PM-7371-biotin
HIV-1 p24 Antibody [9D2F6] (biotin)
CATALOG NUMBER: PM-7369-biotin
HIV-1 p24 Antibody [8D7E11] (biotin)
CATALOG NUMBER: PM-7367-biotin